When you think of “this generation” what comes to mind? Smartphones? Social media? Start-ups and freelancing?
What about insurance agency marketing?
If you’re not thinking about how to market to “this generation” – Generation Z – it’s time to start. These more than 72 million people born between 1995 and 2010 are coming of age soon, making them an important group to put on your agency’s marketing radar.
Find out about marketing to other generations in our post on marketing to Millennials and Baby Boomers
What do we know about Generation Z?
- Generation Z makes up over 25% of the population in the United States
- By 2020, they will account for 40% of consumers
- They use up to five screens on average: a smartphone, TV, laptop, desktop, and iPad or iPod
- When it comes to mobile apps and texting, they are 64% more likely to trust brand content on these platforms than other generations
- A whopping 85% of Gen Z learn about new products via social media
- Close to 50% of Generation Z consumers in the U.S. do mobile research before making a purchase
Read more on the importance of mobile in our post on mobile apps
What can we say to Generation Z?
The attitudes and preferences of Generation Z may be a bit surprising. Often categorized as impatient and disengaged, the real needs of Generation Z are entirely different. Some characteristics of Generation Z marketing preferences include:
- Desire to make an impact: Gen Zers are concerned not only with the quality of the service or product they receive, but also what the company behind it is doing for the world.
- Preference for face to face: Though they may initially connect virtually, members of Generation Z value in-person interactions when it comes to establishing long-term relationships.
- Bent toward independence: Coming from a generation of “helicopter parents,” those in Gen Z want to do things on their own. They don’t appreciate being talked at but want to be discussed with when it comes to making a purchasing decision.
- Digital savvy and preference: A generation of digital natives, Gen Zers expect a dynamic website and high-end online interactions. Elements like mobile access and an online client portal are a must.
Find out what elements you need to make an engaging agency website
- Active on social media: As may be expected, social media is a big part of Generation Z life. Your agency social presence is essential to reach this critical group.
- Human feedback: Generation Z is interested in hearing from real, live people about their experience. Whether it’s an online review or full customer testimonials, Gen Z wants to hear about authentic experiences.
- Quick decision-making: Gen Z likes to make decisions quickly, meaning they want to receive information quickly, too. Videos and social media are excellent ways to convey content fast, making them a Generation Z preference.
Get more marketing strategies from our post on digital marketing strategies for your agency
How can we keep up with Generation Z?
The clear shift in consumer behavior coming with Generation Z means you and your agency need to adapt. A focus on direct, individualized messaging and content with a heavy emphasis on “what’s in it for me” are the ticket to success with almost all generations.
One of the best ways to produce such targeted messaging is with marketing automation – connecting you to how prospects and clients are behaving so you can see what’s working and what’s not. That’s why we introduced Partner XL, the marketing automation and client management arm of our Partner Platform. The system brings the power of marketing adaptability to you while integrating with our Partner XE management system for an all-in-one sales and marketing powerhouse
Find out more about how our adaptable Partner Platform can bring your agency to the next generation – contact us at 800.747.7005, Option 6 or email@example.com.