As Client Services Manager at SIS, I spend a lot of time talking with our partner agencies about their day to day needs around agency management system functionality. One popular topic is how to execute advanced insurance agency reporting through their management system.
Owners, principals, accountants, and other agency staff need to extract and interpret data stored in their management system but are unsure how to get the information they need. In many of our Partner XE Regional Learnings, we review the most popular reports and how to export and interpret them using excel. Below are just a few of the most commonly requested reporting areas.
Get tips on tracking your agency here
Top 5 Insurance Agency Reporting Categories
- Book of business reports: includes number of active clients, clients by total premium, clients by active policy count, and personal vs. commercial business.
- Production reports: includes producer production report and carrier production report.
- Expiration lists: includes policies expiring in next 30-90 days (run this by producer or CSR managing accounts).
- Cancelled policies: includes looking back (cancellation confirmation) and looking forward (cancellation requests).
- Retention Reports: includes what book of business looks like year over year and compares expansion vs. contraction.
Does your agency have a data tracking strategy? Find out why you need one
Exporting and Interpreting Reports
Once run, all of these reports can be exported to Excel as .xls or .csv files. Once in Excel, you can manipulate data to look cleaner and interpret it in different ways (i.e. as percentages or sums). You can also change formatting so you can easily present data to staff, partners, investors, or other groups as needed.
The best tool I’ve found for data interpretation in Excel is pivot tables. Pivot tables allow the user to summarize, count and extract column percentages against other columns of data without being an Excel wizard. Below is an easy YouTube video on how to use basic functions of a pivot table:
Keeping it Simple with Partner XE and SIS
Reporting can be complex, but it doesn’t have to be. Once you know the data you’re after, you’ve overcome the biggest hurdle. I’ve helped many of our Partner XE users tackle their reporting needs. It’s amazing what you can do once you’ve got a handle on the basics!
Read more on SIS’s customer support on sispartnerplatform.com
Our Partner Learning Center offers dozens of step-by-step videos, our QuickGuides are available 24/7 as a quick refresher, and the SIS staff is always available by phone or email to give that extra helping hand. To find out more about what SIS and Partner XE can offer your agency, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.747.7005, Option 6.